There is something about roasted vegetables that can bring out the flavors and sweetness of a usually ordinary vegetable. One of the best vegetables that you can consider roasting is the carrot. Carrots are a very healthy vegetable that a lot of people are wary of eating, especially children. If you want to make carrots a part of your diet, you can always consider certain recipes that can bring out intense flavors from a normally ordinary vegetable.
You can consider making roasted carrots if you want to have a mouthwatering side dish or snack. Roasting carrots can concentrate and intensify flavors and it can also turn the carrots into crispy snacks. The carrots will also caramelize thus its natural sweetness will be drawn out. The basic technique of making roasted carrots is to rub the carrots with olive oil and season them with salt and pepper according to your taste. This is an excellent recipe if you are feeling lazy in the kitchen and you do not want too much hassle and long preparation time.
Selecting and Preparing The Right Carrots
It is vital to choose the right carrots carefully since it can affect the final taste of your roasted carrot recipe. For instance, you must choose fresh carrots and not canned ones. You must choose carrots that are firm, smooth, and do not have any splits or cracks. It is also advisable to choose carrots with greens still attached since it will be able to last longer and fresher. You must also choose carrots with bright colors.
When preparing the carrots, you must trim the leafy tops of the carrots to one inch. After their leafy tops are cut, you can either store the carrots in a plastic bag or you can use them in a recipe. If you are about to use the carrots, you must wash them in cold water and gently scrub the carrots with a vegetable brush. You can consider keeping the skin of the carrots but if you bought organic carrots, you must peel them.
Caramelized Roasted Carrots Recipe
If you are looking for ways to make a carrot dish sound appetizing and mouthwatering, you can always consider making caramelized roasted carrots for yourself and your whole family. This is a very quick and easy side dish or snack for the whole family.
- 12 medium or large carrots, washed and peeled
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- Salt and pepper seasoning
1. Prepare the carrots, you can decide to make them into long even sticks, or slice them into discs
2. In a baking dish, brush or spray the baking dish with olive oil. Combine the carrots with the honey and rosemary and salt and pepper to taste, make sure that the carrots are all coated. If you wanted a grown-up roasted carrots you could also add a couple of tablespoons of red wine too.
3. Place the carrots in a single layer on the prepared baking dish. Roast the carrots until they are brown, tender, and lightly caramelized, usually around 30-40 minutes. Turn the carrots over once, halfway through cooking.